Thursday, September 13, 2007

*A Getaway*

So lately (for like a year now) my life has been hectic, hectic, hectic. I'm not complaining at all b/c I am thankful that I have a life and that I am involved in activities. But when you're constantly on the go and you never have a second to take a break it can really start to wear on you mentally and physically. Last week I was mentally, physically and emotionally drained. It also didn't help to remind myself that all last week Jordan and I would have been in Orlando on a long overdue vacation...sitting by the pool, visiting some theme parks, visiting with my grandma whom I haven't seen in 4 years. So many things that I would have loved to be doing last week but instead I was getting up at 4:30 every morning to come work at CRC, going home in the afternoons to work in the house, getting in bed late just to get up at 4:30 and start it all over again. I didn't want to be anywhere...I would have loved to just get in my car and drive till I ran out of gas. I didn't want to see the house. I didn't want to see the camper. I definitely didn't want to see CRC. I wanted a change of scenery; a break from the monotany. Jordan told me earlier last week that he was going to take me on a date Friday night. That was a relief and a break to look forward to. However, our "dates" consist of going out to dinner and catching a movie if they have anything decent and worth seeing. So Jordan calls me Friday morning and asks me what I want to do that night. I said, "I don't care but I don't want dinner and a movie." He says, "Oooh, you had to make it tough on me didn't you." I just stressed to him that I wanted to do something different. With so much going on in both of our lives we really haven't had any "us" time so that was another area that we really needed some TLC in. He calls me back a little bit later and asks what the earliest I can leave from work is b/c what he wants to do we would need to be there no later than 6pm our time. We would have a 2 1/2 hour drive so it was important for me to leave as soon as I could and that I would need to pack us an overnight bag. What could this be?? I left work around 2:15, rushed in and packed a bag and then we were off. As we drove I realized we would be heading to Chattanooga but I still had no clue where he was taking me. In my mind I am praying that he's not taking me to the Chattanooga aquarium but trying not to think of things I'd like to do so as not to be disappointed if that was not what we did. I like aquariums but they are so much more fun with kids. I just can't enjoy all the fish as much as enjoying the excitement on a kid's face as they experience the vastness of ocean life up close and personal. Fortunately, we passed by the aquarium and headed down towards the Tennessee River. He took me on the Southern Belle Riverboat!!!!!! We had a buffet style dinner with prime rib, veggies, rolls, herbed potatoes, salad and some other soup type stuff that I didn't eat. While dinner was being prepared we were able to go outside and stand on the bow of the boat as we headed up the river. The weather was perfect...not too hot and not chilly enough to need a light jacket. That perfect in between temp that just makes you feel snuggly! After we ate dinner we were able to go back outside and enjoy the view on our way back down the river. It was a total of about 3 hours and quite possibly the best 3 hours I've had in a LONG time! Jordan and I were able to talk about a lot of different stuff...quality time that we had not had in a while-no discussion of house construction or house budget. It was a very romantic and special time for both of us! After the boat ride we headed back into downtown Chattanooga to find a hotel to stay at for the night. We chose the Hilton Garden Inn...it was not very expensive at all!! It was worth it for the king size bed and large flat screen TV in the room. They had a big fluffy down comforter on the bed. I felt like I was in heaven...especially if you could see what we live in every day right now! A full size bed tucked up in a cubby hole and when you roll over you hit the wall beside you. Ugh! This was lavish and luxurious in comparison! We brought our bag in and decided we would stroll down the streets of Chattanooga. We wandered back down to the River and sat by a big fountain display. That was relaxing! Then we moseyed (sp?!) our way back towards the hotel. We detoured through the grounds of the aquarium and past some restaurants. We saw horse drawn carriage rides...Jordan said he wishes he had known they did that b/c he definitely would have planned that for us! Sweet! Could we afford this one night getaway? No! But we couldn't afford not to either. As our lives continue to be as busy as they are it will be mandatory and beneficial for us to have moments and weekends like this in order to keep our sanity and keep our marriage as strong and healthy as ever. We will definitely go back to Chattanooga and visit some other places there to see. How soon? I do not know; but when life seems a little too much and it seems difficult to make it through each day, I know the time will be drawing closer for another getaway. I'm thankful for a husband who dropped his schedule, his budget and his time to plan a special weekend away. He is the BEST and I love him so much more every day! Next month, October 11th through October 21st we will be in Kampala, Uganda establing a ministry headquarters for the Bishop. We are excited about returning and anticipate the Lord to do many awesome things while we are there! Please be in prayer for us during that time and I will post details when we return! Stay tuned to this blog in the mean time b/c there's no telling what's going on!!! Love you all!! And if you're reading my blogs...just post a comment so I know who's actually here! Thanks!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KUDOS TO JORDY!!!! What a wonderful (and much needed) getaway! I'm so happy for you. I want to go there too!!