Thursday, November 20, 2008

Newbie

Let me be the first to say that I am not a big pet fan. Certainly not a cat fan. I have nothing against pets at all. I just feel that I already have enough to take care of so the last thing I need is an animal to feed. If I were to have a pet I would want it to be a chocolate lab like the one Jordan and I had when we were dating. However, I still have no strong desire to have one right now. A few nights ago, Jordan and I were cooking supper in the kitchen when we kept hearing a cat meowing. Jordan looked on the back deck. I checked the garage. I opened the door to the basement. We could not figure out where the sound was coming from. Jordan opened the front door and in runs this vanilla colored cat (about 8 months old). My first thought was, "Oh, no! We are not keeping that." It had obviously been an inside cat and was used to people b/c it ran straight up to Jordan. The poor little thing was starving. We put it in the garage and opened up a can of tuna fish for it to eat and gave it some water. It scarfed the tuna down in seconds. Jordan put it back outside in hopes that it would wander away and maybe find its original owner. Yet days later, its still around. So, it appears that we are now the new owners of a cat. Since it has taken up residency at our house on Freedom Lane we decided it should have a name. We don't know yet if its a male or female so we chose a non-gender specific name. We wanted it to have meaning b/c of how it just appeared on our doorstep and the fact that its a solid almost white color which represents good things to me. We agreed and settled on Newbie...short for New Beginnings. The number 8 represents New Beginnings (2008), Ava was born in August (8th month) and this year has just been full of New Beginnings for us so the name just seemed so perfect!!!!! It's a sweet little cat and for as long as it sticks around we will claim it as our very own. I never thought I would have a pet cat but here I am anyway!!! So welcome to the family Newbie--we hope you like it here!

No comments: