Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Uganda again

So, one week from tomorrow Jordan and I will embark on another journey to Africa for a mission trip. I am excited yet nervous about this trip. I'm nervous b/c I have so much going on here at home that I haven't had time to really prepare for this trip...in terms of packing and getting all of my travel stuff organized. That means that I will be going crazy by next week if I don't get some of it accomplished before then. Monday and Tuesday I woke up with a sore throat and I decided I would go ahead and go to the doctor to get a shot in hopes of knocking out whatever is trying to plaque my body. I will not be sick and miserable on my trip next week. So I make an appointment yesterday and go see the doctor. The nurse lady comes in and asks for my symptoms and she writes them down in my chart as I call them out one by one. I proceed to tell her that I am going out of the country next week and will take a shot or whatever I need to get better. She asks where I'm going and when I told her Uganda she says, "Must be for a mission trip b/c that doesn't sound like a place you'd like to go on vacation." I confirmed her assumption and she left. The doctor comes in and I give him the whole spill again (why does the nurse ask for our symptoms only for the doctor to come in behind her and ask for them all over again?)! I tell him that I'm going out of the country next week and I am very open to him giving me a shot. He agrees and sends the nurse in to inject me. The nurse is rubbing the little alcohol swab on my arm and she asks me, "are you going over there to feed them or to preach?" I reply, "to preach." She very matter of factly says, "I'm sorry but I believe that's just a waste of time." At that reply I am basically caught a little off guard and shocked that she would say that to me. So I reply back with "Really?!" "Yes," she replies, "I just feel there are a lot of people over here that need help." I then inform her, "Well, we do help a lot of people over here too. Our church ministry has helped a lot of people over the past several years. We happen to have a contact in Uganda who sets up crusades for us there and that's why we go over there. But we do still help here too. We just do both." I'm spitting out all of this info as she's closing the door and just has that "whatever" kind of look on her face. Now I'm mad! I do not like confrontation at all and I do not like disagreements. Whenever I encounter those things I tend to get emotional. I can feel my neck start burning and the nerves are pulsating up and down my weak legs. Doctor, can you please hurry and bring my prescription in here so I can leave? What I would have liked to have said to her is the following: "Are you upset at the fact that we're going over there to preach and not to feed them? Is it better that they die and spend an eternity in hell so long as they had a full belly before they did. Or is it better for them to miss a meal here only to spend an eternity in Heaven b/c they heard the Gospel message and Jesus Christ saved their soul? Not saying that I'm not in favor of feeding them b/c I strongly believe that they will not care what you know until they know how much you care. But we are not going to an area where there is an immense lack of food nor high malnutrition. And if you strongly believe that there are people over here that need help and that seems to be a concern of yours then why don't YOU help them? Or are you upset that we're going over there to preach when there are plenty of people here who need to be preached to? Well, can I just remind you that there is basically a church on every corner here in the United States and we have the freedom of choice to attend any church we so desire. So if people here needed to be preached to but they fail to get off their duffs and go to church then should you condemn me for being called by God to travel 10,000 miles away to preach to a people who are hungry for the Word of God and cannot get enough of Him? Forgive me for being a little perturbed at the ignorance of some people. You do what your convictions tell you to do and let me do what I feel God is calling me to do. Jesus said to go into Samaria, Judea and all parts of the world preaching the Gospel. Well, we're here in our community preaching and we're reaching out to the world too. Who are YOU to judge and condemn me? God is my judge and I believe He is more pleased with those who obey His commandments than those who condemn others for doing His commandments and who sit idly by waiting for someone ELSE to reach out and make a difference. So, I just needed a moment to vent that out! God have mercy on the ignorant and open their understanding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true! Sometimes I wonder why people in this world have some of the views that they do. It amazes me!!!