Thursday, June 16, 2011

Happy Father's Day

I know it’s been ages since I blogged last. I always have such good intentions of blogging on a regular basis but when our schedules get jam packed, it’s really difficult to find the time to tap into my creative writing niche. When I write, I like to put thought into what I have to share and that takes some quiet time, which is extremely rare with a two and a half year old running around; therefore, blogging, writing, creative thinking is foreign in my world most days.

As Father’s Day is approaching, albeit in a mere three days (no, this has not snuck up on me in any way! Insert deep sigh), I have been in deep thought on gift ideas for Jordan. I’m a thoughtful, sentimental, gift giver. What gift can I give to Jordan that will honor him as the amazing daddy he is to our sweet Ava? I searched online for Father’s Day crafts that Ava could do; nothing. A Hallmark card? Too expensive. Clothes? Thoughtless. Coffee cup? Redundant. So, what? A blog post? Yes! It would be thoughtful and well within budget. Smile. Don’t worry. He’ll get an actual gift too. I’m still thinking about that one though!

Having grown up most of my life with an alcoholic father that left our family often, I had dreams of the kind of father my future husband would be to our children one day. Jordan not only has been the fulfillment of those dreams but has exceeded every possible expectation imaginable.

I love when he gets giddy about waking Ava up some mornings. He is, seriously, as excited as a kid asking if they can have ice cream for dessert or a kid being told they’re going to Disney World! You’ve seen those commercials, right? Well, that’s Jordan in those moments. For Ava, daddy encompasses every aspect of the word “fun”. She giggles contagiously as daddy sings silly songs to her or tickles her while rolling around in the floor. I am, equally, as excited as she when we hear his key in the door as he comes home from work. Ava stops whatever she’s doing and screams, “Daddy! Daddy’s here!” Then she bolts for the front door and he can’t put his laptop bag down fast enough to scoop her up into his arms.

There are many times I sit and watch their times together and I bubble over inside with humble gratitude that God sent me a man who would be the daddy to my daughter that I had always dreamt of having myself. I marvel at the times we sit and discuss parenting; the challenges, our hopes, our expectations, our dreams for Ava (and future children). Hearing his heart for raising Ava to know Jesus and speaking so much life into her, even at this young age, is such a tremendous blessing in my life. In these moments he makes this wife and mother feel more secure than anything in the world.

Jordan is instilling in her that she is Jesus’ Princess and she is Daddy’s Princess and I know this is something he will continue to instill in her from now until her wedding day…one day…a long, long, long, long time from now!! I can hear him at night as he tucks her into bed asking her this same question, “Are you Jesus’ Princess? Are you Daddy’s Princess?” And my heart melts as she bashfully whispers “Uh huh”. She will know her worth and know how deeply she is loved every day of her life and will never have to search for that love and acceptance from any one else. And as I continue to eavesdrop on their bedtime routine, I hear them break out into the silliest rendition of Jesus Loves Me that you can imagine. They’re singing off-key as loudly as they possibly can. This is, immediately, followed by a spontaneous burst of tickling by daddy and an eruption of hysterical cackles from Ava. Soft gentle prayers follow to bring a sweet peace and stillness back in her room; goodnight hugs and kisses, sweet dream wishes and lights are out. Unforgettable moments engraved in my heart.

Jordan, I honor you this Father’s Day for not only being such an amazing daddy, but also for being understanding, forgiving, gracious, a loving husband, my best friend, encourager, confidante and man of God. You stir up a desire within me to be a better person, to love deeply, to chase dreams, to believe in the impossible. I’m so thankful that during the darkest season of our lives, in the midst of not knowing God’s plan in that season, we clung to each other, we sought God’s heart together and together we believed that God was faithful and together we have discovered His new plan and direction for our lives. An amazing journey lies before us and there is no one else that I would rather travel this path with than you. I love that you are a part of my life and I love doing this life with you. Thank you for who you are as my husband and for being such an incredible daddy. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a daughter so in love with her daddy as Ava. My heart is full and I am blessed. When baby number two, three, four or however many God blesses us with comes, I know you will still be just as amazing with them as you are with Ava. I love and adore you. Happy Father’s Day! xoxoxoxox



No comments: