Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Babies Don't Keep

I was reading one of the blogs I follow daily, MckMama, and she had the words of a poem by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton posted there. I read it and my heart melted. It's called "Song for a Fifth Child". I, by no means, have 5 children! I have only just begun my family with just one precious little girl. However, I understand the principle and concept behind the words. I feel quite sure that Jordan at times wonders if I'll ever clean house again; dust, sweep, mop, wash dishes, clean the toilets, etc. because to be honest, since Ava's arrival I have not been the diligent "keeper of the house" I once was. I have the greatest husband ever because he understands and although I'm sure it bugs him just a little, he doesn't get all bent out of shape over it and for that I am so thankful! I am aware of how precious time is and even more so of how precious time with my daughter is because I do not get to spend all hours of my day with her because, unfortunately, I have to work a full time job. Once I get home from work my time with Ava becomes the most enjoyable time of my day until Jordan gets home (yes, Jordan, I enjoy my time with you when you get home from work!). I love snuggling with her, making her giggle and smile (which really takes no effort at all b/c she is the happiest baby I can ever recall knowing), feeding her, changing her diapers (yes, I really do) and anything that involves her, I love...because I love HER!
So, when I read the words it was my route of justification for the lack of attention to housework and it just seemed so "fitting".
Song for a Fifth Child
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo.
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Beautiful, isn't it? Mothers will understand and appreciate it! I certainly did! Feeding Ava her last bottle before bedtime as she falls asleep in my arms is my most favorite time with her. That's when she has the softest, sweetest, most peaceful disposition of the day; just like an angel. I want to hold her forever just like that. Having a child is such a HUGE blessing from God and it breaks my heart for those who desperately want a child of their own to hold who struggle with infertility or other complications. My prayer is that God would grant them the desires of their hearts and allow them the opportunity to experience such a gift!
Love to all!
~christy~

No comments: